Serves 6 to 8
4 cups (1000 ml) cubed and cored apples, no need to peel if organic
1 cup (250 ml) mixed berries – frozen or fresh
½ cup (125 ml) purified water, berry or apple juice
50 g organic or farm butter, cubed
100 ml honey or unrefined organic sugar or coconut blossom sugar
1 cup (250 ml) rolled oats
½ cup (125 ml) desiccated or flaked coconut
¼ cup (60 ml) almond flour (ground almonds)
¼ cup (60 ml) chickpea, oat or brown rice flour
½ cup (125 ml) walnuts, pecan nuts or almonds (flaked or slivered)
2 tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
½ tsp (2 ml) sea salt
100 g organic or farm butter, melted
2 cups double-cream plain yoghurt
1 cup (250 ml) thick cream
1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
¼ cup (60 ml) raw honey
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Add the fruit and water into an oven-proof dish.
- Arrange the cubed butter blocks over the fruit and drizzle the honey or sugar on top.
- Mix all the dry ingredients, then add the melted butter. Mix to form crumbles.
- Spread the crumble mix over the top of the fruit.
- Bake for an hour, till the crumble is brown and bubbly.
- Serve with creamy yoghurt mix and make sure to have leftovers for breakfast!
Replace the berries with the following: ½ cup raisins, 1 tsp cinnamon sprinkled over apple and ½ cup broken pecan nuts (optional).
Recipe courtesy of Heidi du Preez