Makes about 24 truffles
½ cup (125 ml) dried cranberries
½ cup (125 ml) walnuts or pecan nuts
½ cup (125 ml) almonds
½ cup (125 ml) carob powder
¼ cup (60 ml) raw cacao powder
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cinnamon (non-irradiated)
pinch freshly-grated nutmeg
3 tbsp (45 ml) organic virgin coconut oil, softened at room temp
¼ cup (60 ml) raw honey or tapioca syrup
1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
½ cup (125 ml) desiccated coconut
1. Pulse cranberries in a food processor until finely chopped. Place in a large bowl.
2. Grind the nuts, carob, cacao, cinnamon, nutmeg, oil, sweetener and vanilla into a fine paste.
3. Place this paste in the same bowl than the chopped cranberries. Mix in the coconut.
4. Use a small ice cream scoop to form truffles or use your hands.
5. Refrigerate truffles at least one hour before enjoying them.
• Replace the cranberries with ½ cup goji berries, soaked for at least an hour in water, then drained.
• Replace the cranberries with 2 tbsp grated orange rind and replace the desiccated coconut with ½ cup extra nuts.
Heidi du Preez