For the Cookies:
2 cups (500 ml) unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup (125 ml) almond flour
½ cup (125 ml) coconut flour
½ tsp (2 ml) sea salt
½ cup (125 ml) coconut oil, melted
½ cup (125 ml) coconut palm or unrefined organic sugar or xylitol
1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp (1 ml) almond extract
2 free-range eggs, beaten
Optional – Dark Chocolate Drizzle:
¾ cup (200 ml) dark chocolate 73% cocoa or higher
2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine the shredded coconut, almond and coconut flour and sea salt. In another medium bowl combine melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and beaten eggs. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Form round, golf-ball sized balls with the cookie dough. Place 2cm apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool for 20 minutes then place in the fridge for another 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler. Simply place the chocolate and coconut oil in a small saucepan and place that into a larger saucepan that has a little water over medium heat. Mix constantly until smooth.
- Dip the chilled cookies in the melted dark chocolate, then place on a parchment lined plate. Drizzle dark chocolate across the tops of the cookies. Place back in the fridge until the chocolate hardens — about 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Courtesy of Heidi du Preez