Shortbread is notable for its crumbly texture and butter-rich taste. My quick and easy recipe for candied orange peel shortbread packs a punch of flavour and is ideal for this time of year. They make the perfect food gift if you’re popping round to Mum for a cup of tea. Simply wrap them up in brown paper and tie them with a pretty ribbon to take with you.
- 175 g Butter
- 100 g Castor Sugar
- 225 g White Flour
- 30 g Candied Orange Peel
1. Combine butter and sugar.
2. Beat well until light and creamy.
3. If candied orange peel is not finely chopped, chop up.
4. Add flour and candied orange peel to butter and combine with a spatula.
5. Bring everything together with your fingers to form a ball of dough.
6. Divide dough into two.
7. Place one half onto a sheet of cling film in a long sausage.
8. Roll dough up in cling film and secure each end with a knot. Roll the dough back and forth on your work surface to form a round sausage.
9. Repeat with the second piece of dough.
10. Leave the dough in the fridge for at least half an hour.
11. Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
12. Grease two baking sheets.
13. Remove dough from the fridge and take off the cling film. Cut each sausage into 11 pieces.
14. Place the biscuits onto baking sheets, leaving room for a bit of spreading.
15. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Start 15min timer
16. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Shortbread recipe courtesy Grace Stevens