The Glass Recycling Company (TGRC) consists of a team dedicated to increasing glass recycling in South Africa. We are passionate about ensuring every South African realises the value of recycling glass and actively embraces this practice.
We strive to educate, enable, encourage and inspire individuals to separate their glass for recycling, but do not physically collect or recycle the glass. Our focus extends beyond consumers and communities, but also on trade, industry and corporate South Africa. We also aim to uplift impoverished communities by creating income generating opportunities and skills development in the recycling sector.
TGRC is funded by our committed shareholders who manufacture glass or package their products in glass.
We believe in the infinite potential of glass to make a real and positive contribution to society. At TGRC we are committed to show that glass recycling is worth the effort!
Here are some simple tips from TGRC to educate your family and friends:
- Glass containers, bottles and jars, such as those used for food and beverages can be recycled.
- Encourage those around you to do the same – wouldn’t they feel guilty throwing away glass that can be so easily recycled? Take your kids with you and show them how and where to put their bottles.
- Make sure you take back returnable bottles to your retailer which will be washed and sterilised hygienically by the manufacturer, refilled and reused – these include large beer bottles, certain glass cool drink bottles and even many of the bottles used for spirits and liquor.
- In South Africa, it’s not necessary to place different coloured glass into separate banks or wash glass before placing it into “Glass Banks”.
- Glass can easily be recycled by taking glass bottles and jars to a ‘glass bank’ in your community. You can find a glass bank on our website www.tgrc.co.za, or by sending a text message with the word ‘glass’ and the name of your suburb to 32310, at a cost of R1.00 per SMS, eg: Glass Fourways