¼ cup (60 ml) sultanas, soaked in lukewarm water
¼ cup (60 ml) dried apricots, soaked in lukewarm water
1 kg butternut, cubed (approximately 8 cups), no need to peel
3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
1 tablespoon (15 ml) coriander, ground
1 tablespoon (15 ml) cumin, ground
2 teaspoon (10 ml) caraway seeds, ground
1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon (5 ml) cinnamon
1 tablespoon (15 ml) honey
1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
herbal salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place butternut in a large ovenproof dish.
3. Pour over olive oil and spices and mix.
4. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
5. Heat the honey and butter in a saucepan and add the drained soaked dried apricot and sultanas. Stir for 2 to 3 minutes and add to the butternut.
Variation: Use 1 kg cubed sweet potatoes (unpeeled) instead of the butternut.
Recipe courtesy of Heidi du Preez