2 tbsp (30 ml) desiccated coconut
200 ml low-fat milk
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive or canola oil
2 onions, coarsely chopped
3 carrots, halved and sliced
3 baby marrows, halved and sliced
4 tsp (20 ml) curry powder or to taste
4 tsp (20 ml) ground cumin
2 tsp (10 ml) paprika
300 g butternut, peeled and cubed
1½ cups (375 ml) Rooibos tea
1 small red chilli, whole (optional)
1 x 410 g tin red kidney beans, drained
2 x 175 g tins tuna, with the liquid
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Mix the coconut into the milk and allow to stand.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat and fry onions, carrots and baby marrows for a few minutes.
- Add spices and butternut and fry until aromatic. Reduce the heat and stir in the tea or water with the chilli. Simmer with the lid for 20 minutes or until the veggies are just cooked.
- Add beans, tuna with the liquid, coconut with the milk and salt. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Season with lemon juice and pepper. Stir in chopped coriander and garnish with more fresh leaves.
Serve in bowls with slices of avocado. This dish has enough carbs to fill you up, so it is not necessary to serve with more carbs. Enjoy with a green salad.
Recipe courtesy of the Cooking from the Heart healthy cookbook series, which is funded by Pharma Dynamics and endorsed by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of SA and the Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology