225g penne pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 can (840g) crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup (60ml) vodka
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon salt
Few dashes of fresh black pepper
1/2 cup (115g) sliced or slivered almonds
1/4 cup (1/4 of a bunch) finely chopped fresh basil, plus a little extra for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper to the saucepan and sauté for about one minute, until fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the vodka, thyme, oregano, crushed red tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cover the saucepan and turn the heat up enough to bring the mixture to a simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce has simmered for 20 minutes, add the almonds. Use a hand blender to blend the almonds into the sauce until creamy and only slightly grainy.
- Add the basil to the sauce, and mix the sauce and pasta together in the pot. Garnish with a little extra chopped basil and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Green Monday SA