- 100ml butter
- 100ml cake flour
- 225g cauliflower (broken into florets)
- 250ml Gruyere cheese (grated)
- 2 Large leeks (cut into rings)
- 500g macaroni
- 875ml milk
- 250ml Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 45ml wholegrain mustard
Boil the macaroni in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Steam the cauliflower and leeks until tender but firm. Drain and mix with the macaroni.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the cake flour. Stir the milk in with a whisk until it forms a creamy sauce. Stir until it boils and thickens. Season with salt, black pepper and wholegrain mustard.
Add the chilli, Gruyère and half the parmesan. Mix in the macaroni and place in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan over and bake until golden brown.