2 cups (500 ml) red lentils
1 bay leaf
6 cups (1½ litres) purified water
1 large onion, chopped
1 small apple, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
1 tablespoon (15 ml) curry powder
herbal salt and pepper, to taste
juice of ½ fresh lemon
½ small cucumber, grated
1. Sort through the lentils, discarding small stones and rinse thoroughly. Place the lentils and bay leaf in a deep-sided saucepan and add the water.
2. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Place a lid on the saucepan and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the lentils are tender.
3. Place the onion, apple, garlic, curry powder and olive oil in a deep-sided saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the cooked lentils, then the salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
5. Add the cucumber .
6. Serve with brown basmati rice.
Recipe courtesy of Heidi du Preez