This is a fully loaded VEGAN pizza with tons of gooey homemade cashew cheese and all of the savoury vegetables you can imagine. The sauce is made from tomato paste and then given a charge of flavour from the spices that you’ll sprinkle atop it, and then you load the whole pie up with all of your toppings and bake it in the oven until it’s piping hot!
FOR THE CHEESE:
- 2.1 ounces cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
FOR THE PIZZA:
- Tomato paste
- Garlic powder
- 1-2 sliced tomato
- 1 Portobello mushroom (or any kind)
- A few sliced chargrilled artichokes in oil
- 1/2 sliced green pepper
- 1 sliced red onion
- A few sliced black olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pizza crust of your choice (gluten-free if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
Put all cashew cheese ingredients into a blender for roughly a minute (or until smooth) until you get a nice thick and creamy cheese sauce. Carefully add a tad more water if needed.
- Get the vegan pizza base ready. If you buy a frozen crust, check out the packaging instructions on how long to bake it.
- Spread tomato paste on it and then sprinkle some oregano and garlic powder on it.
- Now top it with cashew cheese and sprinkle some oregano and garlic powder on it (alternatively you can also use finely chopped garlic). Then add the tomatoes, mushrooms, artichokes, green pepper, red onion, and black olives. Finally, drizzle some olive oil on top, sprinkle oregano add a dash of salt on it as well.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve with a nice green salad on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Philipp Ertl