This month South Africa celebrates Heritage Day on Friday 24th September, also fondly known as National Braai Day. Elite South African Ironman Africa Champion, Kyle Buckingham, who is an avid plant-based eating enthusiast, is challenging you to go veggie this National Braai Day with some simple swop recipes! And trust us, you won’t be sorry! Whether you want burger or boerewors simple swops, Kyle and Fry’s have everything you need. This balsamic caramelised onion burger is a great place to start!
- 2 Big Fry Burgers, defrosted
- 30ml of oil for frying the burgers
- 2 large red onions, cut in half and then sliced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices vegan cheese
- 1/3 cup of water
- 2 fresh buns
Make the balsamic caramelised onions:
• Put your sliced onions and balsamic vinegar in a large skillet with a tight fitting lid. If you don’t have a skillet you can use a pot instead, but the process may take a bit longer.
• Cover and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
• Take off the lid and continue to cook, stirring every few minutes, until thereis no liquid left.
• Once this happens, the onions will start to caramelise. You’ll then add 1/3 cup of water, stirring again until there is no liquid left.
• Repeat this process until the onions are fully cooked and caramelised. Set aside.
Cook the burgers:
• Heat 30ml of oil on high in a non-stick pan.
• Add the defrosted Big Fry Burgers and reduce to medium heat.
• Fry for 9 minutes, turning occasionally.
• Add the vegan cheese slices then allow them to melt slightly.
Assemble the burger:
• Add the burgers to buns, top with the balsamic caramelised onions and the top of the burger bun.