- 40g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp Madeira wine or sherry
- small bunch basil, stalks reserved and chopped
- 1.8kg mixed, ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 100ml cream
- 100ml olive oil
- In a pan, melt the butter and fry the onion for 5 minutes, then add the garlic for 1 minute.
- Pour in the Madeira wine or sherry and reduce a little. Add the basil stalks and tomatoes, cover and cook for 15 minutes, until starting to break down. Add the stock and sugar, bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Blend, season and return to the pan, then stir in the cream.
- Whizz the basil leaves and oil in a processor or blender until smooth. Pour into a pan and heat gently for 5 minutes. Drizzle the oil over the soup and serve with crusty bread.
Courtesy of www.essentials.co.za