The second recipe in the Nutrition Confidence series of recipes launched by ADSA (The Association for Dietetics in South Africa) is this wonderful Lettuce and Pea Soup, which has been developed by the authors of Food for Sensitive Tummies and registered dietitians Cath Day and Gabi Steenkamp.
5 ml butter (1t)
5 ml olive oil (1t)
3 leeks well washed and sliced with the green tops
1 ml dried crushed garlic (¼ t)
2.5 ml salt (½ t)
1 head of butter lettuce, finely sliced
250 g frozen peas (1½ c)
1.25 L boiling water (5 c)
15 ml chicken flavour or vegetable stock powder (1 T)
125 g tinned chickpeas (½ x 410 g tin, drained)
125 ml chopped parsley (½ c)
- Melt the butter and olive oil together.
- Add the leeks and crushed garlic and salt.
- Sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the sliced lettuce and the peas.
- Add boiling water and stock powder.
- Boil for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Add the chickpeas and heat through.
- Add the parsley and liquidize until the soup is smooth.
- Reheat before serving.
- Optional: serve with one slice of bread with avocado as a topping, per serving (½ avocado is equivalent to 2 fats)
Nutrition information: Per serving (200ml of soup)
Energy: 740 kJ, Protein: 6.7 g, Carbohydrates: 28.0 g, Total sugars: 6.2 g, Added sugar: 0.0 g, Total Fat: 3.1 g, Saturated fat: 0.8 g, Fibre: 6.4 g, Sodium: 773 mg
One serving is equivalent to ½ carbohydrate, 1 protein and 4 vegetables.