Serves: Makes 10 to 12 slices
- 500g white bread flour
- 10g sachet instant yeast
- 1 level tsp salt
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- Tip the flour into a bowl, add the yeast and salt and stir.
- Add the oil and 300g warm water. Mix to make a smooth dough.
- Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes, or until the dough is springy to the touch.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm spot for 1 to 2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Turn out the dough (from the basic recipe) onto a lightly floured surface and knead it again briefly to ‘knock back’. Form into an oval and place in a 1kg greased loaf tin. Press it down into the corners using your knuckles.
- Dust with a little flour. Leave to prove until it rises above the level of the tin.
- Use a sharp knife to slash the top of the loaf. Heat the oven to 200°C and put a baking tray on the bottom shelf.
- Put the loaf in the oven on the middle shelf and spray the hot oven tray with water to create steam. Bake the bread for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180°C and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes. The underside of the loaf should sound hollow when you tap it. If it doesn’t, put it on a baking tray and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
Courtesy of www.essentials.co.za