1 cup (250ml) buttermilk, kefir or water
3 to 4 extra-large eggs
1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil or cold-pressed sunflower oil
½ cup (125ml) water
1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
½ cup (125ml) chickpea flour
1 cup (250ml) flax seed powder
½ cup (125ml) sorghum meal, buckwheat flour or teff
1/4 cup (60ml) psyllium husks or 1 tsp guar or xanthan gum
1 heaped tsp (7ml) bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp (5ml) sea salt
1 cup (250ml) mixed seeds (chia, flax, pumpkin, sesame – not sunflower)
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC.
- Grease a loaf tin with butter.
- Place all the wet ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Add dry ingredients into wet and mix well.
- Pour mixture into greased loaf tin. Cover loosely with foil.
- After 60 minutes in the oven, remove foil and bake for a further 30 minutes uncovered.
- Tip the bread out of the loaf tin and let it cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy a thick slice with farm butter!
Recipe courtesy of Heidi du Preez