2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ pounds peeled raw sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 large onion, cut into large dice
1 tablespoon organic grass-fed ghee (sub coconut oil to make this completely vegan)
1 pinch coconut sugar
3 large garlic cloves, thickly sliced
1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups organic vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Garnish: chopped roasted peanuts
1. Heat your olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, deep pan until it starts to simmer.
2. Add the sweet potato chunks along with the onion. Saute them together in the oil for about 8 minutes until everything is a nice golden brown color.
3. Reduce your heat to low and add ghee or coconut oil, coconut sugar and garlic. Keep the heat going until all vegetables are a rich caramel color and the flavors meld (this should take 10 more minutes).
4. Add your ginger, nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Continue to saute a minute longer.
5. Add in the broth as you increase your heat to medium high. Once you get it to a simmer, reduce the heat to low and partially cover the pan until the sweet potatoes are tender (another 10 minutes).
6. Using a blender, puree all ingredients until very smooth. (Vent it either by removing the lid’s pop-out center or by lifting one edge of the lid).
7. Return to pan (or even a soup pot if your pan isn’t big enough to handle more liquid). Add enough coconut milk so that your final product is souplike, but also thick and creamy enough to float peanut garnish. Taste and adjust salt/pepper if needed. Heat again until it’s perfect for serving and garnish with some roasted peanuts. ENJOY!