350 g butternut cubes
350 g sweet potato cubes
150 g lentils, cooked
2 ml ground cinnamon
2 ml ground nutmeg
30 ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt & ground black pepper
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 whole ice berg lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add butternut, sweet potato and oil in a roasting tray. Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, until soft. Leave butternut and sweet potato to cool.
- Mix lentils, veg and half the almonds in a bowl. Mash the mixture together until even. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
- Split the mixture into 6 evenly sized balls. Shape into burger patties and coat in the remaining almonds.
- Drizzle oil into a non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Fry the patties for 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
- Put your burger patty on the middle of a whole ice berg leaf. Wrap your burger up in a lettuce leaf and serve.
- Add favourite burger toppings like guacamole, salsa and fresh sprouts.
Courtesy of Vanessa Marx for the Association for Dietetics in South Africa