2 cup lentils, cooked
30 ml canola oil
1 onion, peeled & chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped or crushed
20 g grated fresh ginger
100 g green beans, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup water
30 ml mild curry spice
5 ml ground cinnamon
2 bay leaves
2 free-range eggs
1/4 cup low fat yoghurt
2 ml ground turmeric
salt & pepper
10 g fresh coriander, chopped
2 extra bay leaves
- Put a large pot on the stove on a medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the chopped onion, ginger and garlic and sauté lightly for about 5 minutes. Then add the carrots, red pepper, green beans and raisins and continue to sweat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the curry spice, cinnamon and bay leaves and stir in for 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and water and stir in.
- Cook the sauce for about 15 minutes until slightly thickened and the vegetables have softened a little. Add the lentils and season with salt and pepper to taste and mix in.
- Put the lentil mixture into an oven proof dish and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, eggs and turmeric. Pour the egg mixture over the lentil bobotie and place the 2 bay leaves on top.
- Bake the bobotie in the oven at 180ºC for about 20 minutes until the egg custard has set and is slightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with chopped fresh coriander.
Recipe courtesy of Vanessa Marx for the Association for Dietetics in South Africa